Question

IVF & normal ovulation
Dear Doc,

I just want to enquire if IVF can still be performed without the use of fertility medications such as clomid and injections esp if one is already ovulating.
I have a regular 25 day cycle and it has been determined that i DO ovulate.
I am just afraid that the meds may cause other problems
fertility expert

dear Jaqui

Yes, indeed it is possible to perform a natural cycle IVF . Although the control and monitoring is rather difficult, the availibility of new LH antagonist drugs make it is feesible to allow a follicle to develop naturally. This follicle can then be aspirated and the oocyte can be fertilised to achieve a pregnancy (IVF) . If you a reluctant to use the LH anatgonist , it is still possible although, occasionally very difficult , to have a completly natural cycle performed. The pregnancy rates however are not as high as one would achieve with a stimulated cycle.