Question

Jack rustle
Hi Doc,

Fred my Jack rustle (10 years) does not look happy. He is walking around grunting all the time. His tummy is very hard and bloted again. I have had him at the Vet some time ago and they did xrays and say that he was just over weight, but I cant help but feel that there is something wrong as he has lost weight since then.

This morning he had pood in his bed (nothing big just 2 hard little pieces), but what I did notice is that he seems to be wetting himself. His bed had little damp spots and from our bedroom to outside were little drops of wee.

I plan on taking him to the Vet tonight but your advice will be appreciated.

Hi TC

It is very difficult to comment on Feds condition as I do not know his history - how long has he had the problem, diet fed, excessive drinking urination, vomiting/diarrhoea, is he on any current medication that may cause the symptoms he is presenting with e.t.c. However i can advise you on a possible diagnostic protocol following an examination.
a) Take new abdominal/thorasic X-rays . One can check the size of the organs and access for any radiographic abnomalities be that skeletal or tissue. These X-rays could be compared with his previous X-rays.
b) Take a blood sample and do biochemistry and haematology - this may give an indication as to where the problem if any could be isolated.
c) If an area is located then I would then probably ultrasound the abdomen to acertain if there is any obvious changes in certain of the organs. This may then lead to a possible treatment plan or futher diagnostics such as a biopsy or an exploritory abdominal investigation.

I hope this assists.You have to understand that not all the procedures need to be conducted as the clinican maybe able to identify what the problem is.