Question

just discovered i have ulcer
goodday doc

i've found out that i have ulcer and a doctor prescribed a medicine fo treating them,my problem now is,he did tell me to reduce the usage of curry powder,spices,drinks with acids,beans (sugar).now doctor i'm confused would you please give me the right food to eat without interfering with my illness.what abt snacks(cream cakes,chocolates & milkshakes).doc i love food.i eat as if it's my hobby.please help!!!!!!

Dear Sickone
Ulcers are caused by excess acid production in the gastrointestinal tract. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and ulcers is stress. If you suffer from ulcers, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension. You will have to see if the cream cakes worsen your symptoms and if so to cut them out. Plain chocolate and milkshakes should not be a problem.