Question

Kelp & Diet
Good day, I used Vital's Kelp tablets for years, then found out that I had a Thyriod problem. Was told to stop using Kelp in any form and are on Eltroxin. My question.. I am sure that the Kelp helped me keep my weight down, and now not using it, i have picked up 27 kg's in the last 3 years. What would you suggest. most diet products have kelp in, and so was told i can not use it. please help. Thank you

Dear Shorty
The reason why you were advised not to use kelp products if you have a thyroid deficiency is that kelp contains iodine which may stimulate your thyroid to over-react in a vain attempt to produce more thyroid hormone (which it cannot do if you have thyroid problems) this will lead to over-development of the thyroid gland (goitre). Continue to take the Eltroxin as prescribed and try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), rather than to rely on diet products that usually have negative side-effects.