Question

Ketosis

I would like to know whether a low carb diet- leading to ketosis, is safe? Can it lead to long-term weight loss and is it healthy?

Dear Tweety
If you reduce your carb intake drastically you run the risk of developing ketosis which in turn can damage your kidneys. You will also tend to be constipated and expose your body to a high fat intake which in turn can lead to problems such as raised blood cholesterol levels and heart disease. You will initially lose weight and quite rapidly because the low-carb content causes diuresis (loss of water), however, once you start eating normally again, you will regain some of the weight. This type of eating can also cause deficiencies and in my opinion which is based on research results, any slimming diet that is unbalanced is potentially harmful. Click on 'Diet' and "Weight loss' or 'View old diet & food site' and read some of the articles on slimming, high-protein diets and healthy alternatives like a low-fat, high-fibre diet.
Take care