Question

Kidney failure - dog 13 years old
My dog was diagnose with kidney failure and admitted to the local Veterinary Hospital for 2 days. He is 13 years old. The doctor prescribed a tablet - Feniquil 25 once a day (5 days) and special food Hill's prescription diet - Canine K/d. My dog is not used to eat this food as he eat Apol full course - the pellets and soft food. Is there any special diet or additional vitamines I can give him?
cybervet

Diet plays an important role in the management of kidney failure. Dogs that are fed a special kidney diet such as the one that was prescribed for you, generally feel better and eat better than dogs that eat a regular diet. Obviously it is important that the patient eats the food in adequate quantity. Therefore, if a dog refuses to eat the correct diet it is still better to feed and alternative diet until such time as a dog will get used to his special diet. There is also a tablet that can be prescribed for your dog to be used indefinitely that may result in a better quality of life. This medication contains a so-called ACE-inhibitor and has various effects but generally lowers the pressure within the kidneys, thereby resulting in less damage to the kidney. Your vet will be able to prescribe this medication for you.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town