Question

04 Apr 2007

Kitten fading syndrome

I have 10 cats and have kept many cats over the years and never had sick cats so im a bit lost here :(

I rescued a ginger kitten about 2 months ago , at my vets , a child was trying to give him away and I couldnt resist . It was obvious he had snuffles so I took him straight into the vet who dewormed him and gave him antibiotics for the snuffles and whatever else was lurking.
Last weekend I took him for his shots , and on Wednesday he started vomiting ... thinking he had eaten a bug of some description I wasnt worried just watched him.

By friday he was no better and I took him to my local vet who because of the area we live in has a shortage of facilities 98% of his patients have owners who are desperately poor.

Anyhow he felt kitties tummy , and felt a lump, told me to use animalax and keep him hydrated ..... in the meantime kitty isnt showing any interest in food and im force feeding him .... I took him back to the vet on sunday the lump is gone .... he suggested monitoring him for aday or two and then sending him to a bigger centre for further tests .

Yesterday I phoned a vet in the bigger centre more accustomed to dealing with cats and he says it sounds as tho kitty has fading kitten syndrome...... he is only about 3 months old.

Now he isnt getting any worse , im seeing signs that he wants to get better , a little interest in playing . for example .... his stool is normal, he isnt vomiting , he is using his scratch post and is washing himself .. he just wont eat ..im forcfeeding him yoghurt and egg yolk ... and then pamper mixed witha little warm water.

What I want to know is how long this could go on for , im aware he might not make it :( but how long could it be before he either turns the corner or we have to consider euthanising ????????? I dont think he is suffering , he is certainly purring a lot ....im finding this very difficult to deal with ...

What else can I do for him ?????
cybervet

Cats are dependent on their sense of smell when it comes to eating. If they can't smell their food they will not eat it. Having had snuffles it is possible that the kitten can't smell its food so i suggest you use Pilchards or Lucky Pet and warm it up. Use your finger to stir it before feeding it to the kitten just to be sure there are no hot spots in the food that could burn the cats mouth. Persist a little longer as you are probably about the round the bend towards improved health.