Question

22 Apr 2006

kitten wont stop miaouing<br>
I adopted a kitten at age +/- 5 wks. She is now about 7 wks. She has had her injections. She does eat well and only Hill's kitten food. No wet food. She has got toys which she plays with. Her toilet looks normal. Problem is: she miaou's ALL the time - nagging sound. Why is she doing this? It really gets very bad. I need to stop that.
Thank you.
cybervet

Hi there

Well, you could just ignore her. The more you ignore her, the better it will be. She would see that she is getting no attention from you. You could even spray her with a water pistol to startle her, but the trick is for her not to see the water coming from you. She must in her mind put it together that each time she miaous that something unpleasant falls from the sky. Do not respond to her at all, only give her attention when she is quiet. She was also very young when she was taken from her mother, this could also have something to do with it. Comfort her if necessary, she should also grow out of it at some stage. Just be aware that she does not demand food from you and you respond each time.
Candice
Animal behaviorist