Question

Kitty Diarrhoea?
Approximately 3 weeks ago, I purchased a kitten (roughly 8 weeks old). I was given a powder (Protexin) to boost his immune system, which was to be given once daily. Co-incidentally after I had given it to him twice, he developed a runny stomach and would, on occasion, need to go hourly, sometimes bleeding. I stopped giving him the powder but his 'condition' was unchanged. My vet prescribed something for diarrhoea, which caused his stool to thicken. He also gave him his 'shot' and a de-wormer. However, as soon as the medication was finished, it returned to being runny and blood is appearing more often. I've even resorted to experimenting with different dry food brands, flavours, etc. What could be causing this?
cybervet

Young kittens develop diarrhoea for many different reasons. Most commonly it is because of diet change after the adoption. Bacterial and viral infections as well as worms may also contribute. It may take many days for the diarrhoea to subside. You can try to feed it meat only (no carbohydrates) for a few days and once also more normal introducing the regular diet slowly over a a few days by mixing it into the meat. If it does not resolve soon, take her back to your veterinarian for further treatment.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town