Question

Kjs needed
I have two questions please.

I'm 50, pre-menopausal, 15-20 kg overweight, started walking 20 minutes at fast pace (treadmill) every second day, and have a desk job. How many kilojoules should I consume per day to loose weight?

Are all kilojoules the same? For example, are 1,000 kilojoules from healthy food - fruit and vegatables - the same as 1,000 kilojoules from nuts, cheese, bread or cake? Does it matter what kilojoules we take in, as long as it's a certain amount, and not more, of kilojoules?

Dear Jennah
To lose weight adult women need to eat a diet that does not supply more than about 6300 kJ per day. The kJ-content or energy content of the diet determines if you will lose weight or not, so even if you are eating only fruits and vegetables and your energy intake from these healthy foods exceeds your daily requirement, you will gain weight. Eating healthy foods will of course have a much more positive effect on overall health, but you still need to reduce your energy intake and increase your energy expenditure with exercise to lose weight.
Keep up the good work with the exercise.