Question

Korsakoff Syndrome
I want to know if Korsakoff Syndrome is hereditary. My mother suffered from this for years due to severe alkohol abuse. I have a family history of alkohol related problems and I also drink alkohol on a regular basis. What are the early simptoms and can you be tested to see if there is a problem.

Mary, it develops due to alcohol abuse and the vitamin B1 deficiency associated with it. It is not a hereditary disease per se, but the susceptibility to it might be. The best would be to limit your alcohol intake and to take a multivitamin on a daily basis as there are very few warning signs. Good luck.