Question

Labels
I have recently lost 40kg and iIt has become a way of life for me to read labels of all foodstuffs bought. I would like to know what is the acceptable amounts of carbohydrates and sodium per 100 ml when watching your weight eg. less than 3 g of fat is low-fat. Could you advise?

Dear Jackie
Congratulations for losing those 40 kg, you too are a bright shining ***star***. There is no hard and fast rule that one can apply to all foods when it comes to fat content. 3g fat per 100g is an acceptable level, but you could eat a food that contains 10g of fat per 100g and still keep within your daily fat allowance of about 60-65g of fat per day if you are slimming. The same goes for carbohydrates, generally speaking you would need to check the added sugar values which are not yet compulsory in SA. One would like to use products that do not contain more than 5g added sugar per 100g. In regard to sodium, the lower the better as the daily intake should ideally not exceed 3 g per day (ie. 3000 mg).