Question

LACK OF ENERGY, LISTLESSNESS
It started with my wife in August while on a sports tour in Oudshoorn, with flu/hayfever like symptoms, we put it down to allergies as she is allergic to feathers. The symptoms never dissappeared totally. After a Holiday in Pearly beach in December, my wife, myself and our 3 children have now developed symptoms of lack of energy, short tempered, listlessness and continued tiredness. My wife has had complete blood tests done with no sign of anything out of the ordinary. One doctor has prescribed my wife anti-depressants, sleeping tablets, vitamin b and iron supplements. (we did not fill the prescription) Can you advise, as of the 3 odd doctors she has seen none can say with any surety what the problem is. They have mentioned a possible viral infection, although drugs have been prescribed and she has been told to come back in 3 months.

Dylan, the problem with her symptoms is that they’re not specific enough to make a diagnosis on. They can fit in with almost any chronic systemic disease, allergies, infections and even poisoning. The most common cause would probably be an infection of some sorts especially since the whole family seems to be affected, but you can’t rule out something like poisoning altogether. If you live in an old house or near an industrial area, it’s definitely something you should consider. The best would be to see a specialist physician and tell him the whole story as you told it to me. He should be able to get to the bottom of it. Good luck.