Question

lactation
I experience lactation from both breasts (have had it for several years). Recently I went to my doctor, who undertook blood tests and found that there isn't a high level of prolactin in my blood, indicating that the pituitary gland is functioning normally. The doctor concluded that the lactation must be the result of breast stimulation (i.e. nipple squeezing). I disagree, because although the lactation can only be noticed when I squeeze my nipples, I do not believe that I stimulate them excessively. Are there any reasons for concern? What should I do?

Thanks.

Judy, a prolactinoma (tumour of the pituitary gland) isn’t the only cause for lactation in a non-breastfeeding woman. The other main culprits are drugs and an under active thyroid gland, but there is a long list of causes of increase prolactin. If you mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za, I’ll send you a list of possible causes. Good luck.