Ask an expert

17 Jan 2003

Lactose intolerance - Do I need calcium tablets?
I have been diagnosed with lactose intolerance and would like to know if I need to take supplements for my diet? I am going to a dietician when my doctor gets back from leave but would like to start know as I own a restaurant and at the end of the day I have very painful hips and legs and lower back. Would the calcium take these aches away?
Answer 394 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Spider
Yes, if you cut out all milk and dairy products which are the best source of calcium in the diet then it is a good idea to take a supplement like Calcium Sandoz, etc. However, the pains in your hips and lower back need to be investigated by a medical dr, because they may indicate some problem such as arthritis. Tell your dr about these symptoms and keep that date with the dietitian as it will make your life so much easier when it comes to working out a lactose-free, but balanced diet.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17861 votes