Ask an expert

14 Jan 2003

lard belly
My husband (52) has over the past 4 years gained an enormous amount of weight. He is 6 ft tall and 118kgs most of the weight carried as a lard belly. He works in a remote area and has no access to gym facilities. Can you point us to an eating plan bearing that in mind? I have already found an exercise plan from the fitness doc.
Answer 426 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Jane
Fat deposits in the abdominal area are typical in men. He needs to cut down on fat and alcohol (if this latter should be applicable). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight Loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet which will help him to lose weight. I am just worried that he will have problems getting supplies of such foods, esp fruit and vegetables in this remote area - you will have to help him stock up on canned and dried or frozen vegetables and fruit - all depending on availability of fridges/freezers, etc. If necessary it may be an idea to consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) to obtain the name and address of your nearest dietitian) so that she/he can work out food equivalents for him to use in this remote area. It will work better in a consultation setting where he can answer questions about the feasibility of obtaining low-fat and high-fibre foods. His BMI = 35 at present which is very obese. I think he should set his first target to reduce to a BMI of 27 and a weight of 90kg.
Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.