Question

Lazy - home exercises
Hi there, my BMI is 23.5, weight is 54kg. I have started a new healthy lifestyle, I have quit smoking. All is going well so far (been 4 days). My body fat % is 37.7, my cholesterol is 7.7. I am a single mom that does all the DIY at home, and keeps the house clean. This is over weekends. It is during the week that by the time I get home, I am exhausted from work, traffic, stress and worries that I promise myself I will do exercise. As soon as my child and pets are fed, homework done, bathed etc. I switch on the TV and don''t move. I say to myself " after this program I will switch off and do exercise" . I never do for 4 reasons:-
1. to lazy and fat (can''t stand my fat bouncing up and down) 2. Exhausted mentally 3. FIFA and the main reason is ... 4. I don''t know what exercises to do. I don''t have money for gym, what can I do at home that is easy at first? Please tell me because I can''t stand my body. (I can lose 4kg if I have a breast reduction and tummy tuck (these are the main problem areas, I have a pot belly and DD breast and am 1.53m tall). Please if I have the right exercises I know I can get motivated.

Hi Fatty

There are some home-based programmes on the site, at this link:
http://www.health24.com/fitness/Programmes/16-1347.asp

Most involve some form of exercise that is easier to do outdoors, or failing this, you have to look at investing in an indoor bicycle or treadmill to use (especially if we're talking night exercise here).

I think the key is that you need a programme, and what would really help is to find other people to do this with you. Is there any chance, for example, that you can train during a lunch-hour at work, with one or two colleagues? Or with friends after your daily activities are done? Or squeeze 30 minutes of exercise in before you have all the home-activities to do? The other people are the best source of inspiration by far, and it's really vital that you stick with this once you start.

Those programmes will provide the start, but you really need to have a source of motivation, because I fear that even home-based training will be too easy to bypass - it's just too convenient, and if you can get some training in before work, during lunch, or before the end-of-day fatigue, then you'll be far more likely to succeed.