Question

Left shoulder has a spasm.
I use my left hand to lift and carry heavy objects like a bag full of groceries - everything in a large sling bag. I have a lot of pain especially when I lie down in bed at night. When I sleep on my back, the left arm seems as if it' s coming out of its socket. Sometimes it feels as if i' m being electrocuted. It' s even affecting my performance as I work on the computer. I am right-handed but I regard my left hand as the ' strong hand' .
Shoulder Doc
Shoulder Doc

Dear Manozi,

from your description it sounds as if the pain in your shoulder and arm might be due to a nerve compression either in the neck or the "thoracic outlet". see our website www.shoulderinstitute.co.za and look under "Thoracic outlet syndrome". To give you a more specific answer to your question one would have to examine you and you should see an orthopedic surgeon in your area

Regards,

Dr Joe de Beer