Question

Left shoulder spasm (computer-related)
I''ve always had a problem with a spasm just to the left of my left shoulderblade, whenever I worked on the computer for more than a few hours. Muscle relaxants only helped for a bit. Recently I went for physio treatment, which helped for a while - heat treatment, massaging, the whole shebang. The therapist also taught me the correct posture in front of the computer, to which I''m keeping religiously - and I also started using an extra small pillow to support that spot behind my shoulder. The spasm has however decided to revisit with a vengeance, and I had to go get a shot last Saturday at my GP just to relax that damned muscle. It''s been acting up again since yesterday morning - so much so that it feels like a burning hole the size of a fist, right next to my shoulderblade. The muscle is discernable as a short, tight sinewy ''thing'' under my skin.

Should I just make peace with this and go for a shot every week? Or how can I make this better? What am I doing wrong?

Cat

The muscle spasm is most likely due to the over use of the spesific muscle. If it is due to your working position in front of the computer, I suggest that you take regular breaks from your seated position to do some stretching and a brisk walk to prevent muscle spasm from forming.

When the muscle spasm occurs, I suggest that you consult a physiotherapist or chiropractor for the treatment of the acute muscle spasm.

Your spouse/partner can apply Voltaren Emulgel on the area at night to break the cycle of pain and muscle spasm.