Ask an expert

12 Feb 2003

I took my son to a paediatrician who then sent us to a neurologist for an EEG. On going back to the paediatrician, he said he suspected that my 10 year old son suffers from left temporal epilepsy, and that he was a bright boy. He suggested I put my son on a diet eliminating various sweers, chocolates, preservatives certain fruits etc. I had to also take him off sugar and substitute with fructose. I also had to eliminate most mixed cooldrinks and can only give him half a glass of coke a day or cooldrink with no preservatives in. Although my son was recently diagnosed with a mild form of asthma (he was put on Seretide this month), I think the diet which the paediatrician has put him on is rather extreme and is not treating the cause of the "epilepsy" (if this is indeed what he has). The paediatrician also stated that he would get a 2nd opinion and come back to us. He has not yet done this and is is now 3 weeks since we saw him. Do you think elimination of certain foodstuffs is essential, as he is basically a healthy boy our only problem is his behaviour, for which we actually were referred to the paediatrician.
Answer 422 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Cathy
I think it is vital that you obtain a second opinion and I would suggest that you consult a neurologist this time around. As far as I know, temporal epilepsy is not influenced by diet, except that in uncontrolled young epileptics a high-fat diet is sometimes used to control the seizures if the child does not react to medication. The type of diet he has prescribed would probably help for the asthma, but go for that 2nd opinion because if the dr is actually treating attention deficit disorder, then the theory about sugar making the symptoms worse only applies in a very small number of children and not to the majority. You can always consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) and get him/her to help you with the child's diet.
Hope that this problem gets sorted out soon.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9320 votes
67% - 18604 votes