Ask an expert

29 Jan 2003

I have had chronic pain in my one leg running up the back and side of my calf for a long time now and have been to a doctor , physician and surgeon who all think it's the after effects of a DVT although a DVT was never diagnosed after the birth of my last child.
I get loss of sensation , swelling on the ankle and a warm feeling in my leg. It is getting worse and now I am being refered to a Neurosurgeon. Shouldn't I just go and have the Doppler test done and have peace about what's going on? What other tests are recommended? I have read it could be a cyst , tumor , muscular (I don't do sport) or inflamation. There is no redness or skin discolouration. The doctors are not helping much and I am beginning to feel like a hypocondriac. But the pain is there and I think something has to be wrong. Surely it's not normal to lose feeling in your leg and all that I have mentioned. I would like to be more informed so I can demand that the appropriate tests be done.
Answer 307 views

01 Jan 0001

Adri, I can’t see how it can do harm to have Doppler test done. While they’re at it, ask them to do an ultrasound of your knee to exclude a Baker’s cyst. If these tests turn up negative, a neurosurgeon would be a good idea. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.