Ask an expert

16 Jan 2003

Leg Ulcer
Hi Dr,

My dad has been to a specialist and he has diagnosed his sore as a leg ulcer. However, he has recommended that my dad come every 10 days to change his dressing with a nurse (which will cost R210 each time he goes to her) and that he will probably have to wear stockings for the rest of his life. My dad suffers from high blood pressure and the specialist said that is what brought it on. My dad is not happy with the specialist as he was not very helpful and quite abrupt in his way. Do you have any solution to this problem. I suggested he see a homeopath, what do you think?
Answer 369 views

01 Jan 0001

Luci, if it’s just a leg ulcer there is no reason for him to see the specialist or a homeopath for that matter. All you need to do is to keep the wound clean and it should heal by itself. If it shows any signs of sepsis or it becomes bigger again, he should go to his GP. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.