Question

Life after Body Building
HI There

We had an interresting discussion on life after Body Building.

Most of my friends say that if you are a strict "gyming" person and you stop due to some reason, all the muscle that was gained turns into fat.

I disagree because just as fat cannot turn into muscle, muscle cannot turn into fat.
Is there any truth in the story that body builders get extremely fat after they stop working out.

I so, what can be done to prevent this from happening

Johan
Bodybuilding
body building

Johan,

Firstly you are correct. It is physiologically impossible for muscle to turn into fat. What usually happens is that the muscles get "detrained" and start getting saggy-this is what many people mistake for fat which is quite obviously wrong.

Another reason is that when bodybuilders are training properly hey usually eat more. Unfortunately when they stop training they usually do not stop eating more and therefore their energy intake is higher than there expenditure which quite obviously will mean that they start putting on more fat.

You can prevent this from happening by adjusting your eating according to your activity levels.

Hope this helps and keep well,

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist