Question

Lifetime of obesity
I've been obese since I was a little girl. In my teens there was a while when my weight came down to 80 kg. I got married in 1996 and since then my weight has just gone up. In 2000 I was diagnosed with psoriasis since then I've been on cortisone almost continuesly. I've actually decided to stop the cortisone awhile back. I've tried to loose weight with different products, but nothing works. I've been on a dietritians diet of 5800 kj per day but it only helped for a little while. I'm 31 and 1.7m. Because of the psoriasis and psoriatic arthiritis it is difficult to excercise. I'm a housewife and do all my work myself. I would like to know what I can do to loose weight. I don't have a lot of money to join expensive group. Please help.

Dear Nita
I am so sorry to hear about these problems you are having. If the diet prescribed by the dietitian did not produce consistent weight loss, then you may suffer from insulin resistance (IR). Go back to the dr who is treating your psoriasis and firstly discuss the fact that you have stopped the cortisone treatment as this could make your psoriasis much worse. If necessary see a Dermatologist as there are other types of treatment for psoriasis such as phototherapy that may help. Secondly ask the dr to send you for tests to determine your thyroid, female hormone levels and insulin and glucose to determine if you suffer from IR, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) or hypothyroidism. If you should have one of these condition then the dr will prescribe the necessary hormone treatments for you. If you suffer from PCOS and/or IR then you will need to return to the dietitian that she can work out a diet for you that is based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). In the meanwhile click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Try to find some form of daily exercise that you can do - for example, going for walks or swimming, because regular exercise does assist with weight loss and reduces stress (which plays a role in psoriasis).
Holding thumbs for you