Question

Light-headed
Dear Doc

I have been experiencing a few strange symptoms that strike intermittently. I get light-headed/ faint spells that are sometimes accompanied by chills and/or slight nausia and I feel very tired afterward. There is no pattern to when these dizzy spells strike and I often feel quite paniky/depressed afterward for awhile. Could this be hormonal/ low blood pressure/ slight anxiety?? (I am late 20s)

Dizzy, I would exclude low blood pressure and low blood sugar first if I were you. After that I would do blood tests to make sure it’s not due to anaemia or thyroid problems. From there on it becomes less easy.
Next time it happens drink a sweet cup of coffee or a Coke and see what happens. If it goes away but comes back within 20-30 minutes, it might be low blood sugar. If it stays away, it might be low blood pressure. In the end, the best would be to see your doctor and have it sorted out. Good luck.
PS I wrote something on low blood sugar a while ago and if you’re interested in a copy you can mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za.