Question

Light headed
Hi Doc,

I am 40 years old and have been having light headed spells since I was 10 years old, with some fainting spells. When I was pregnant I passed out and if I stand up quickly, I feel like the lights are being dimmed. I am tall and have read that this could be vertigo. I also have low blood pressure. I take 100mg Eltroxin daily. I feel that when I have one teaspoon of glucose powder in water, it helps. Is this okay to do?

Is there anything else I can do to prevent this feeling? Lately it is happening daily. I have to remember to get up slowly and sometimes have to put my head down.

Thanks.

I think that you are suffering from severe postural hypotension. I suggest that you consult your doctor for a 24 hour blood pressure monitor, as well as a 24 hour ECG to determine if you have an abnormal heart beat, causing your symptoms. You can add salt to your diet or use Saltabs. The salt will increase the intravascular volume and in turn increase your blood pressure.