Question

linear lucencies
Dear Doc
I recentley had an x-ray and on the report the doctor wrote "Bilateral lower zone linear lucencies noted in keeping with plate atelectasis. Please could you explain to me what that means, my doctor did explain but I couldn't have been listening but when I got home I read the report and it didn't make any sense to me.

Butternut, it means that parts of the lower parts of the lungs are airless. The most common reason for this is mucous that obstructs the airways like in the case of an infection. If your interested in more information on atelectasis, mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll cut and past you something. Good luck.