Question

Little Boep
My problem is that I have a little "boep" in the area underneath my belly button. It is not flabby just sticks out & Ive tried sit-ups but it wont go away & I am not overweight. Any suggestions please?

Hi Kim

Unfortunately, all the situps in the world will not really help in this regard because what you need to do is regular cardio workouts. You see, the scientific truth is that one cannot "spot reduce". That is, you can't really try and reduce the fat around your stomach, thighs and abdominals by just doing exercises for those areas. This kind of exercise, using specific muscles only, actually burns fewer calories than exercising large muscles groups in dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

Having said that, it is still important to do some strengthening and toning exercise and obviously to include exercises that make use of the muscle groups in your abdominal area. The exercises that you do will depend on whether you have access to a gym or you do body weight exercises at home. My advice with regards to the overall training, is that you check out the Fitness page of this site, then click on Programmes, and choose one of the Shape Up programmes. They are all cardio based, and they do include some weight training. Just remember, it’s the cardio that is the main ‘weapon’ against this fat, so stick with it, give it months to work (not weeks) and it will eventually happen.