Question

Liver problems
My brother has informed me that he has the following:
Lewer vergroot met 'n hiper- eggogene lewe parenkiem met geringe hepatomegalie. Differensiële diagnose sluit in lewer vervetting, sirose en kroniese hepatitis.

Please tell me what this all means and how I can support him to drink less alcohol

ET

ET, you can give him this list of some of the effects alcohol may have on the body.
1. Liver → hepatitis (fever, jaundice and vomiting). 80% will progress to cirrhosis (small crumpled up liver) of which 10% will end up in liver failure.
2. Brain → the brain shrinks and may start bleeding after minor trauma. Eye problems, fits, nerve problems and psychosis are known problems associated with abuse.
3. Gut → diarrhoea, stomach ulcers, varicose veins and pancreatitis.
4. Blood → depression of bone marrow function which leads to anaemia and a tendency to bleed easily (not a good thing if you look at no. 2).
5. Heart → palpitations, high blood pressure and heart dilatation that will lead to heart failure.

At this stage the liver is enlarging to try and cope with the abuse, but once it gives up there is nothing you can do to rectify the problem. He should give up drinking and if he refuses you can use the following to find out whether he has a drinking problem or not. Ask the following questions (CONTROL is a useful mnemonic to remember them).
• COntrol - Can you always COntrol your drinking?
• Neglect - Has alcohol ever led you to Neglect your family or your work?
• Time - What Time do you start drinking?
• Reduce - Do friends comment on how you drink or ask you to Reduce your intake?
• Overcome - Do you ever drink in the mornings to Overcome a hangover?
• Leave - Go through an average day’s alcohol, Leaving nothing out.
Good luck.