Question

Long nails
Dear Doc
I have just adopted two adult miniature Dachshunds. Their nails are extremely long. Is it characteristic of this breed, or should their nails be kept short. Does it need to be clipped by a vet, or do I need to take them to a doggy parlour.
cybervet

If they have not been walking on hard surfaces a lot, the nails will get progressively longer, ultimately curl around and grow back into the feet. The nails therefore need to be clipped. One will need to be careful that if they are very long it is easy to clip the nail right into the quick resulting in some bleeding and discomfort. Any dog parlour should be able to clip the nails, as can your vet. Special rounded nail clippers are used.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town