Question

lose kg's before pregnancy?
Hi, I am 27 and have put on about 10kg since getting married four years ago... I am still not "overweight" according to the calculators, but I am nearing it too fast! I now weigh about 69kg and I would love to shed a few. We are trying to get pregnant, and I would like to know whether it is a bad idea trying to get in shape before pregnancy. Basically I need a healthy diet so my weight will stay the same or get less before pregnancy. I do moderate excercise (walking dogs about 30mins every 2/3 days). Help me get motivated!!!

Thank you!!!

Dear Amore
It is difficult to judge how much weight you need to lose seeing that you don't mention you height in metres so that I can calculate your BMI to see if you are overweight or not and if so, how much you would need to lose. It is a good idea to get down to your normal weight before you fall pregnant. You can try an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by taking the dogs for a 30 min walk every day)the dogs will love it!). You do realise that you are the only person who can take the decision to diet and do exercise. Get going today and set yourself attainable goals, e.g. try losing 1 kg a week and doing that exercise every day.
Good luck with falling pregnant.