Question

Losing weight
Hi Doc,

I just wanted some advice please. I have never really had a weight problem in that I have been fortunate enough in the past to not put on weight and have always maintained a stable weight. I have however recently put on 10 kilos which is really making me feel uncomfortable. My clothes are tight and it has given me a bit of a complex as all my weight is based on my hips and bum. My tummy isn't really where my weight has gone to.

I would like to find out what diet I should follow in order to lose the 10 kilos. I have also had IBS for the past seven years so have to be careful as to what I eat.

Thanks for the advice.

Dear Mands
I hear what you say about feeling uncomfortable with the extra 10 kg. You can either use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), but you need to still avoid all the foods that give you discomfort with the IBS. Also increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Otherwise consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet for you that makes provision for the IBS, but promotes weight loss. Use the exercises as suggested above.