Ask an expert

06 Feb 2009

Hi thee, I have been on various anti-depressants which all had terrible side effects and am currently on Cymbalta which has helped me the best so far, but this has caused my weight to escalate from around 86 to 117 Kgs over approx 1 year period. How on earth do I get this down? Dieting doesn' t have any impact, neither does exercise. This is making me even more depressed. I cannot leave the medication as I relapse into major depression. What can counteract the weight gain caused by anti-depressants as my doctor advised me that that is normally one of the side effects. I would sincerely appreciate your assistance. Have had all types of bloodtests done for thyroid, and a whole bunch of other things and everything is normal.
Answer 398 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Cathy
I am sorry to hear that you suffer from major depression. The unfortunate problem is that antidepressants can cause both weight gain and loss depending on the individual and that depression itself can have both effects too. You cannot stop your medication and yet you are gaining weight steadily. I can only suggest that you discuss the use of Xenical and a very-low-fat diet with your dr. If the Xenical does not interfere with the Cymbalta (which I doubt that it will), then Xenical can help you to start losing weight. Xenical stops you from absorbing fat from the foods you eat so this automatically lowers your energy intake (each gram of fat you don't eat, saves you 37 kJ!). You should use Xenical with a very-low-fat diet to get the best results and also start exercising when you have lost some weight. You could use the Xenical to get you started on the right track and then just stick to the low-fat diet and steadily increase how much and how long you exercise. If you need assistance with a very-low-fat diet it may also be a good idea to see a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
Holding thumbs that you can now start losing weight.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.