Question

loss of taste and smell
Some time ago I wrote to you about losing my taste and smell, you suggested it may be sinus. I had a scan and it was sinus and after medication it cleared up completely however I have never regained my taste and smell, its now 7 months since I last tasted or smelt anything. In your opinion what do you think could be the problem, the specialist now seems to be at a dead end and has referred me back to a doctor.

Bev, not being able to smell is called anosmia. Although sinusitis is a common cause of anosmia, it’s not the only cause. Congenital anosmia occurs as part of Kallmann’s syndrome, but you didn’t mention any other problems and it’s only lasted a year, so I don’t think it’s the problem. The causes of anosmia can be sub-divided under the following headings:
1. Swelling/obstruction in the nasal passages
2. Damage to the olfactory neuroepithelium by viruses, drugs, systemic disease or tumours
3. Damage to the olfactory nerve by head trauma, intracranial surgery, infections or tumours
If the ear, nose and throat specialist couldn’t find a reason for it, you will have to look at the other options. The next specialist to see would be a specialist physician and then maybe a neurologist. Good luck.