Question

Loss of Taste & Smell
3 months ago my Mother had a cold & she lost her sense of taste & smell. She has taken suppliments of Zinc & it has been suggested that she take a Vitamin B complex such as Brewers Yeast.

She is 61 years old, is a vegetarian (no eggs in addition to no flesh) and is prone to candida (she is not keen on taking Brewers yeast due to this). She also prefers to take natural medication rather than antibiotics and is around 20kg overweight. She suffers no pain in her sinuses but does feel a little pressure there and when she blows her nose her one ear pops. She does not drink or smoke at all & other than not being able to taste or smell, she is rather healthy.

I hope that the information I have provided will help you in suggesting anything that might help her to regain her sense of taste & smell.

Thank You

Di

Dear Di
The cold your dear Mom suffered from was probably the type of virus that can cause loss of taste and smell. I would suggest that she takes a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte (for the iron content), which will not make it necessary to take Brewer's Yeast and will also supply her with other essential nutrients such as vitamin B12 and bioavailable iron which she may be deficient in seeing that she does not eat meat or eggs. If the loss of taste and smell is of viral origin then it may take quite a few months for the sensations to return. If the problem persists it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup to eliminate any underlying problems.