Question

Lost in Love
I have been in love with a straight friend for a long time. I cannot shake him off. Sometime I am successful and then a few weeks later it haunts me again; how long must it carry on for its been so long already ?
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert
gay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Lost and thanks for posting here.

We can't always choose who we love, but we all have the capacity to realise that some relationships are not functional for us.

How long this relationship carries on for is entirely up to you - you are not a powerless 'victim' without choices in this scenario. You need to find a way to end the relationship, as you define it - even if it is somewhat one-sided. Your feelings for this guy are probably keeping you from meeting other guys and forming other (potentially more rewarding) relationships.

If you continue to feel powerless to resolve this, I suggest you consult a gay-friendly counsellor. The Gay & Lesbian Helpline (call 021 422 2500, any day between 1pm and 9pm) may be able to recommend a counsellor in your area.