Question

Lost of erection
I am a 44 year old male. Me and my girlfriend had sex with her on top of me over the weekend when she suddenly withdraw and ask why I lost it. It was not totally lost but not rock hard anymore. We tried again and another three times it happened that i totally lost my erection after some time - about 5 to 10 min. My girlfriend of a year and a half says it is because she is not doing it for me etc. Needless to say that this had a huge effect after the first failure as my sub-conscious kept fearing for the worse,
My question is why did this happen in the first place. It just feels if I loose control over my ability to pump the blood into the penis or keep it hard. As if there is no feeling or reaction.
Secondly, may my girlfriend be right? I love her and she really turns me on - even after the first time, she is the reason I get a hard-on again later on. But why do I loose it?
sexologist

Dear Mr B

It is totally normal for a man to experience some degree if not total erectile weakness from time to time. There are many causes: worry, stress, alcohol, medicines, physical illness and sometimes no cause whatsoever. The problem can become even worse when occasional and normal episodes of softening as you describe occur and leads to an over-reaction. You should be allowed some allowance for this, don’t question yourself too much and try hard to take the pressure off of yourself. If it is a regular occurrence this is a slightly different matter, but still one that usually has a cause and can often be easily remedied.
SASHA. For further information please consult SASHA’S website at www.sexualhealth.qw.co.za/dru. For referral to a professional in your vicinity, please send an email to helpline.sasha@gmail.com