Question

LOST; UNSURED; GUILTY
DEAR DOC:

I’M SO LOW AT THE MOMENT THAT I REALLY DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I STARTED WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY SINCE OCTOBER LAST YEAR.
BUT BECAUSE OF MY CARELESSNESS NOW ALMOST EVERYONE IN THIS COMPANY DON’T LIKE ME. I’VE GOT A FRIEND AND AN ACQUIANTANCE WORKING IN HERE AS WELL (THEY BECAME LOVERS NOW). AT FIRST THEY STILL SPEAK TO ME AND WE GO OUT IN THE WEEKENDS.

BUT NOW, I HAVEN’T SPOKEN TO THEM FOR ABOUT A MONTH NOW. NOT EVEN A SIMPLE A “HELLO” OR “GOOD-BYE” ANYMORE. THE ONLY TIME WE HAVE A CONVERSATION IS ONLY IF IT’S WORK RELATED. BUT JUST AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE.

BUT MY REAL PROBLEM IS THAT BECAUSE OF MY CARELESSNESS. I HAVE MADE THE COMPANY PAID FOR AN UNNECESSARY CHARGE OF R1800 TODAY. (THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME MY MISTAKE CAUSED PROBLEM OR MONEY). I REALLY WANT TO DO MY BEST FOR MY-SELF AND FOR OTHERS.BUT SOMEHOW EVEN WHEN I DOUBLE CHECK (EVEN A “TRIPLE” CHECK SOMETIME).
AT THE END, THERE IS STILL A CARELESS MISTAKE OF SOME SORT. IF IT’S NOT ONE THEN IT’S THE OTHER.

THE ONLY REASON WHY I HAVEN’T BEEN FIRED YET IS BECAUSE MY EMPLOYER TOOK PITY OF ME FOR MY BACKGROUND.I FELT SO GUILTY EVERYDAY JUST BY BEENING HERE. (SOME OF MY COLLEGUES DISLIKE ME BECAUSE OF MY PRIVILEGE OF “PROTECTION” FROM MY EMPLOYER)
I USED TO BE SO CONFIDENCE AND SURE OF MY-SELF. BUT NOW I HAVE BECOME SO UNSURE AND LACK OF CONFIDENCE. I FEEL SO USELESS.

AND JUST REASONLY, MY EMPLOYER ASK ME IF I STILL WANT TO STAY (BECAUSE I VOLUNTEERED ON RESIGNING FOR THE MISTAKE I MADE)? OR DO I WANT TO LEAVE. HE SAID HE WILL KEEP ME UNTIL I FOUND ANOTHER JOB THAT SUITS ME.
I HAVEN’T ANSWER HIM YET, BECAUSE I NEED THIS JOB TO SUPPORT MY FAMILY. AND I DON’T KNOW IF I CAN FOUND A JOB THAT EARNS MORE THEN THIS ONE. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE HIGH PAID JOB, BUT DECENT ENOUGH.
I DON’T HAVE A GOOD QUALIFICATION. BUT THEN I’M NOT HAPPY WORKING HERE RIGHT NOW. (I ENJOY WHAT I’M DOING. BUT I FEEL SO SMALL AND OUT-CASTED HERE.)

I’M SO UNSURE AND FEEL SO INSECURED OF MY FUTURE NOW, THAT I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT MY NEXT STEP SHOULD BE.
CAN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVISE OF SOME SORT?

Dear Lost Soul,
You are indeed lucky to have a protective and understanding, sympatheic boss. COnsider, with him several options. DO you perhaps need further training, to be more competent at the job ? That can be provided, and een subsidizd for the company. Would counselling help, perhaps with some psychological aptitude testing, to help you work out why you have been making these errors, and check out what are your best skills, and where improvement would be worth working on .
Be cautious about just resigning, as you could lose some of your rights and benefits, by doing so. By all means look for another job, wthout resigning this one, and while working in the other ways I've suggested, to become more competent at this and other jobs.