Question

Lost weight on holiday
I don't know why, I have lost 3 kilograms in the past 2 weeks while i was on holiday - eating foods I never eat (take aways like pizza's, ice cream etc) and in my opinion over eating. I did much less exercise.

I am a perfectionist and I go to gym 6 days a week to get a cardio workout and to tone my body. I have little to no fat included in my diet , I have so much fruit and veg to eat, I drink my 2 l of water a day, I only have 4 portions of wheatfree carbs a day etc.

After feeling totally disgusted at myself for pigging out, I came back and to my suprize I am 3 kg lighter. I have not lost any muscle (so that can't be a reason) and my clothes are fitting comfortably around my waist and hips.

Could my highly restrictive diet be preventing me from losing weight? I would really like to keep this weight off... please help!

Dear Jen
It is possible that being relaxed (something that perfectionists don't usually achieve easily) may have helped because you may not have excreted as many adrenal hormones as you may do during everyday living. Adrenal hormones can cause water retention and influence how your insulin behaves. Eating a minimalistic diet bordering on starvation can also induce your body to switch off its weight loss systems, so try to relax (do deep breathing exercises and yoga) and eat a balanced diet that even includes small quantities of fat otherwise you will develop a deficiency of the so-called essential fatty acids (omega-3 and -6). Try to recreate the fun and happiness and the probably normal diet you ate while on holiday and you should feel much better.