Question

Low blood pressure and lack of iron
I went to donate blood the other day and was told that my blood pressure is "a bit low" can't remember what exactly it was, and that my iron count was also a bit low. Neither were low enough to cause concern I would like advice on how to raise both naturally, rather than take all kinds of pills, I have also heard that it is possible to overdose on iron pills and that the effects could be quite negative. Please advise, much appreciated.

Dear Ingrid
If your low blood iron levels are due to deficiency and no other causes then you can do 2 things: a) take an iron-folic acid-vit C supplement like FeroFolic for about 3 months b) eat more iron-rich foods - organ meats, esp liver, red meat, poultry, fish, egg yolk, iron-fortified breakfast cereals, dried fruit. If you follow the instructions for FeroFolic then you won't overdose. Unfortunately there is not much that can be done from a dietary point of view for your low blood pressure, unless you are avoiding salt intake totally? If this is the case, then take a little more salt on your food, but don't go overboard, as excess salt can harm the kidneys. If the iron deficiency has not cleared up in 3 months, then you should consult your dr so they he/she can check if there is a physical cause for the low iron levels such as high blood loss during menstruation, internal bleeding, etc.