Question

Low blood pressure,what should I do?
Hi i am 20 years old & recenlty found out that i have an iron defficiency & that I have low blood pressure.I have been taking medication (effortil) for my pressure but it seems to be making me more sick. The doctor also suggested that I see a dietician.Do you have a diet that i can follow to help me feel better? I'm not overweight or anything but i would like to lose about 5 kg or so.What do you suggest i do?

Dear Tee
Dietary interventions do not really improve low blood pressure. You can take a little more table salt on your food to increase your sodium intake which may assist with the low bp. I agree with the dr that you should rather consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), because the dietitian needs to assess if you really need to lose any weight (I doubt it) and to help you with your iron deficiency.