Question

Low blood sugar
My husband recently went to see a doctor advertised at the gym because he often feels tired. This doctor did some tests and said that he has very low blood sugar and that is why he is tired. He said that he must stop eating sugar as much as possible because he has low blood sugar. Is this the correct thing to do? If so then please explain it to me. My husband is now afraid to eat anything with sugar now, even fruit as he thinks it will affect his low blood sugar in a negative manner. My husband is also not fat at all but always thinks that he is obese and obsesses about his weight every day. I can't help feeling that by going to this doctor he is going to stop eating all foods with sugar. I know that it is not good to eat too much sugar, but I thought that a certain amount was necessary.

JW, I have to agree that it doesn’t sound like he suffers from hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar). Even if he suffers from hypoglycaemia, he doesn’t have to avoid all sugar. I think the best would be to mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za so that I can send you a copy of an article I wrote on hypoglycaemia a while ago. Read it and let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.