Question

Low Fat and Caffeiene Free Products
I have read that we use too much fat in our diet. Is Fat Free and Caffeine Free Products really healthy? Does the processes that milk, coffee etc it have to go through to make it fat free or low fat not have a negative affect on our health?

Dear Erika
I don't think that removing the fat from foods such as milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese which basically involves centrifuging the milk so that the fat separates out and can be removed to be turned into butter can have a negative effect on the nutrient value of the dairy products because it is just a mechanical process. The removal of caffeine from coffee does involve certain processes that could potentially leave traces of the solvent that is used to remove the caffeine in the coffee, but the solvents are removed in turn by steaming or other processes. The best solution to the problem of selecting a balanced diet is probably to use all foods and beverages in moderation and to eat a varied diet, so that we derive the benefits from the foods and beverages without being affected by the potential negative aspects.