Question

Low GI foods
I'm slightly insulin resistant and was told by my dietitian that i should basically stick to certain types of brown bread and food with a fat content of less than 10g of fat per 100g. But as i cannot handle eating brown bread, i checked the fat content of white bread and have discovered that most white bread have a fat content of only 1 or 2g per 100g. Is it okay for me to eat these breads then?

Dear Lizzy
The reason why the dietitian said that you should eat low-GI bread, is that the carbohydrates in these breads will not overstimulate your insulin and glucose levels in the blood which will in turn make the insulin resistance worse. You can also try eating rye bread. If you have an allergy or intolerance to brown bread then you must discuss this with your dietitian so that she can suggest alternatives. If you are just not used to eating low-GI bread, then this is something you should try to slowly get used to. White bread has a very high-GI and is not a good idea when you have insulin resistance.