Question

Low self-esteem
I have a 4yr old son who is very happy and jolly when im around.But the moment i leave him with my parents or at the crech he changes into this withdrawn and crying baby.I mean i make sure he visits my parents or his partenal grandparents at least every weekend.But every time he throws a tantrum.At the play centre he does all what is expected of him,but the moment he sees me he starts crying.The other day there was a concert and he did not participate because he was crying on stage as the other kids where singing and doing their thing on stage.What could be the problem.Must we take him for councilling or what?

Dear me,
For a vairety of reasons, kids at this age ( and several others ! ) can be prone to Separation Anxiety ( a good term to use if you fancy doing some web-searches for more material about this ) It's an important developmental phase to become self-confident enough to sail off on your own and spend time with other people, but distant from Mom, who represents the ultimate in safety and care. Kids vary as to how soon they feel able to do this ; and sometimes circumstances ( like when parental jobs require that the child move to the play-school phase when they're not quite ready to take this step ) can create a problem for a time.
Counselling may help.