Question

lower back pain
Dear Dr

i have recently had x-rays taken of my back and i am not sure of the diagnosis. i've just recently moved and have not been able to contact a doctor yet. The report reads as follows: "there is minimal disc space narrowing at the L4/5 level indicating disc degeneration, the ramaining disc spaces well preserved, the end plates smooth and regular. There is a Grade I anterior listhesis at the L5/S1 level noted with a possible bilateral lysis at the L5/S1 level, this would be be confirmed with reverse CT gantry tilting scan if clinically warranted. The bony ring and joint spaces of the pervis are normal. The bony sacrum and coccyx are normal with the sacrococcygeal joint intact."

please help me to understand what this says.

thanking you in anticipation.

Dear Back problems
I wish I could draw you a picture!
Lumbar vertebrae 4/5 - the little pillow between the two vertebrae is damaged and the space between the two narrowed - that may lead to pressure on the nerves going to your foot and lower leg, causing symptoms.
The listhesis at vertebrae L5S1 means that there is a slight shifting of the one vertebrae on the other, causing a "step" and the small joints at the side are not nicely aligned ( lysis) causing pain as that area will be a bit unstable ( although not dangerous)
Rest is fine.