Question

Lump in neck
I've had a mostly painless lump below my right jaw for longer than a year now. My doctor has given me a course of antibiotics to see if it will clear it up (+/- 2 mths ago). But it is still there. About 2 weeks ago it started aching below this lump, and since the I've developed a hoarsness in my throat that comes and goes. I have also recently started feeling dizzy at odd times. I normaly have low blood pressure, but only when I stand up suddenly etc. Now I get dizzy when I'm sitting down, doing nothing strenueous. At times when I swallow, its asif the muscle in my throat (tongue)cramps and it's quite painfull. I hope you can tell me if it's something I should worry about or not. My father died due to a rare form of cancer. So naturaly I worry that it could be something malignant but up to now I,ve been too scared to find out...
Thanks in advance
Louise

Dear Louise,
Being scared to know what it is won't make it better, I am worried about the symptoms you are describing. Please ask your doctor to refer you to a surgeon to cut out the lump and send it to a lab. It could be totally harmless but I think it is starting to press on your vocal cord's nerve and need to be removed anyway. Let me know what the outcome is?