Ask an expert

10 Jan 2003

Lumpy semen
Hi, im a concerned girlfriend, and would like to know if this is normal. My boyfriend's semen recently has become lumpy, almost like jelly. And every now and then he complains about pain.
What is wrong and does he need to see a doctor. If so, what doctor???

Answer 2,175 views

01 Jan 0001

The consistency, taste, and amount of semen depends on a number of factors. Physical activity, temperature, and recent ejaculation may play a role in the consistency of semen, while changes in a person’s diet may affect the taste of semen. Unless there is pain, burning or other discharge, it’s most likely a normal variation. Both the white/creamy and the clear/chunky semen are within the normal range. If you have any of the other symptoms mentioned above, you should call a urologist or the general practitioner for an examination.
You can call SA Sexual Health Association for a referral to a Urologist in your area 0860 100 262
Dr Elna McIntosh
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9320 votes
67% - 18606 votes