Question

23 Apr 2006

lunges
my mother was diagnose with chronical broncitis, she is currently living in an inviroment than is polluted with lots of toxins, could it worsen the disease.... in her condition can she move to durban where all her family is living currently?
EnviroHealth expert
envirohealth expert

Air pollution can worsen chronic bronchitis, although this is only one of several factors. If I understand you correctly, you are worried about the move to Durban because it has a reputation as a city with pollution problems. This is so - especially as regards the South Durban area - but then this also applies to most urban environments, unfortunately. As your mother is already living in a polluted environment, I doubt very much that the move would be negative; in fact, it may be beneficial if she moves to a less polluted area (and every city has healthier areas) ,and it would surely be helpful for her to be near family.

The following are some general tips for avoiding exposure to air pollutants:
* When possible, stay indoors and close the windows when outdoor air pollution seems particularly bad. Air pollution monitoring is conducted in some parts of the country: call your local municipality or health department branch to find out if they do air quality reports, or if they can give you information about when and under which conditions pollution is a problem in your area. Still winter mornings and still, sunny days are often conducive to higher pollution levels, but each location has its own set of factors.

* Don't exert yourself outside when air pollution is bad. The faster you breathe, the more pollution you inhale. If you experience any symptoms, such as tight chest, coughing or burning eyes, then stop exercising and go inside.

* Check your indoor conditions too. Respiratory symptoms may be worsened by indoor air pollution as well, such as mold, dust, chemicals in cleaning products or air fresheners, and TOBACCO SMOKE. The most important thing you can do for your health, by far, is to avoid smokey environments. Don't allow smoking in your home.

* If it's practical, try spending the occasional weekend in the country to breathe fresh air and feel less anxious about pollution.