Question

lying 8yr old
My 8yr old son is lying a lot I have talked &  disiplined him about this but he just keeps on doing it He lies about stuff happening at school when I go and speak to the teacher or principal it comes out that he is lying I dont know when to believe him anymore If me or my husband has to tell a white lie we do it without the kids present My mother said that I must take him to see a psychologist maybe there is another problem and the only way he knows to handle it is by lying can that be true WHAT MUST I DO I am at the point of not believing anything he says anymore hes got a sister of 2yrs old and I told him he is suppose to be an example to her I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE I feel like paking my bags and go I love him to bits but dont know how to handle this anymore PLEASE HELP

Maybe we ought to work on a whole section dealing with child discipline issues. One of the reasons he lies is that it brings him extra attention ( and even unpleasant attention may be attractive to a kid who feels a lack of attention otherwise. Does he, for instance, perhaps feel that his little sister is getting a lot of attention at his expense ? Try giving him extra attention when he is telling the truth ( and there are surely occasions when that is obvious ) --- and praise him for being truthful and reliable at these times. And respond to what appear to be lies not by punishment ( which doesn't work ) but by withdrawing your attention. And a visit to a child psychologist might be a good idea, for a fresh assessment and more specific adice, based on the specific situaion of your child.
Also try posting about this in our Parenting forum